It wasn’t too long ago that the most common approach to store documents, contracts and other types of paperwork involved a manila folder stuffed into a steel filing cabinet.
How times and technologies have changed
Today, even casual computer users, store enormous amounts of personal and business data on their laptops, desktops, tablets and smartphones. Many have even discovered the benefits of using a remote cloud storage service to maintain their information.
With the introduction of the Internet and lightning fast data transfer speeds, it became apparent that individuals and businesses of all sizes would want to eventually use remote data repository services to store and maintain their information. The opportunity to access their storage from literally anywhere at any time opened new possibilities to improve the productivity of their business communications.
Beyond the significant advantages of being able to access and maintain your data from anywhere and at anytime, cloud based storage systems allow businesses to enjoy the following benefits:
Benefits Of Cloud Storage Systems
– Reduce or eliminate the need to buy, maintain and upgrade expensive on-site storage hardware
– Reduce of eliminate the cost of maintaining I/T personnel to manage storage equipment and software
– Saves space and electricity
– Allows users to adjust their storage needs quickly and easily
– It helps to manage costs as the user only needs to pay for the electronic storage that they need. Users don’t need to forecast their future needs for storage.
– Their data is stored at remote sites that are safe and secure. The user gets the added benefit of having a world-class disaster recovery service in the event of the loss or damage to their computer or other mobile device. Even in the event of a hard drive crash, the data is stored and can be recovered from their remote storage facility.
– With the addition of collaboration software, a cloud storage solution can help multiple users to access, view, edit and store common documents. That provides remote users with the ability to collaborate and exchange documents on projects that require team input.
Of course, as is the case with any technology, there are some potential risks with using a cloud storage system including:
Risks With Using Cloud Storage
– Some people are reluctant to relinquish control of their data.
– There is the possibility that the data could be breached or compromised.
– If the cloud service or Internet connection is temporarily down, it can delay access to their data.
Although, it is important to note that the most reputable cloud storage service providers have taken the necessary steps to greatly minimize these potential problems. In fact, when shopping for a cloud storage provider, it is very easy to get information on their security policies and service performance results.
The list of trusted cloud storage service providers is long but below are several that have received recent praise from Computer Reseller News:
– EMC (Mozy)
– i365 (Seagate)
Sally writes for the Principal Corp group of companies who specialise in b2b managed services, consumer electronics and more. Visit Principal Corp for managed print systems, Cameron Barclay for office refurbishment or Office Magic for photocopiers.